Here at Morlife, we have first hand experience of how busy the morning rush can be, and that getting a quick and easy breakfast that also ticks the nutrition boxes can be a mission. Our latest creation, the Açai Bowl Mix is here to save you some morning meal prep time while making your tastebuds sing.
For those who don’t know, açai bowls are like having ice cream for breakfast (who doesn’t want ice cream to feature in the most important meal of the day?) but without the added sugar, unhealthy fats, dairy and other nasties. This summer-inspired Açai Bowl Mix featuring Hemp Protein makes it easy to DIY a delicious, refined sugar free Açai Bowl at home. Our recipe also includes Morlife favourites chia seeds and gut-loving fibres, it’s easy to add a boost to your breakfast.
Here’s the lo-down on the stars of this breakfast creation:
Açai berries are dark purple berry-like fruits that grow in South America. These super fruits are very, very low in sugar, with the freeze-dried powder containing only 1.4g sugar per 100g. Another key benefit to açai is the abundance of antioxidants (anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins) that give açai its rich purple colouring. Açai is also a source of omega 6 and omega 9 fats – which have been shown to lower your risk of coronary heart disease.
As of late last year, Australia is finally allowed to sell hemp products for use in food products. Most protein powders tend to refine foods down until they pretty much only contain protein, hemp protein contains a reasonable amount of fibre, healthy fats and carbs, making it more of a whole-food protein powder.
Chia seeds are tiny nutrition powerhouses providing you with a great source of heart-healthy omega-3 fats, fibre, B-vitamins and minerals like magnesium, potassium, zinc and iron.
Fibres such as inulin and psyllium are fantastic natural thickeners which also have health benefits in the gut. They make you feel fuller for longer as they swell in your stomach after eating them, balance your blood sugar levels and then provide food for the beneficial bacteria in your gut, making them good for your waist line and your tummy.
Monk Fruit Juice Powder
Here at Morlife, we absolutely love Monk Fruit Juice Powder as a natural sugar alternative. Unlike stevia, it doesn’t have a bitter aftertaste, and is much less processed as it is powdered juice, rather than an extract. If you haven’t already heard us sing the praises of Monk Fruit Juice Powder, then head on over to our blog - it’s a truly wonderful sugar alternative.
How to use our Açai Bowl Mix:
Our Açai Bowl Mix can be made in 3 easy steps, taking less than 5 minutes to create a nourishing breakfast bowl:
- In a blender, combine 1 tbsp. of our Açai Bowl Mix with ½ a cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 frozen banana and ½ a cup of your choice of liquid. We liked ours with almond milk but coconut water/water, apple juice or almond milk would also be delicious.
- Pour the mix into a bowl and top with your favourite muesli, coconut, fruit and some nuts or seeds and voila!
But the possibilities don’t stop there!
- If you’re on the run or more into drinking your breakfast, you can add some chocolate protein powder, some extra hemp seeds and a bit of extra liquid and you have yourself a choc-berry smoothie!
- Add a tablespoon to your chia pudding to add some colour to this popular brekkie option.
- Or, add a tablespoon to your favourite bliss ball recipe for an antioxidant boost.