If there is one thing in this world we can't say no to it’s Nutella - we reckon it's quite possibly one of man's greatest creations. But as much as our heart says yes to its rich hazelnutty goodness, our waistline sadly says no. After finding out just how much sugar is in Nutella, and as a nod to World Nutella Day (which is today!), we made it our mission to create our own version using zero processed sugars crammed with a whole bunch of nutrients starring our golden child Clever Kidz.
Clever Kidz is a delicious chocolate drink and the ultimate kid's brain booster targeting cognitive function. Packed with 7 vitamins & minerals, prebiotics and probiotics, Omega DHA and functional herbs + superfoods, this is far from your standard chocolate milk.
And Nutella ain’t Nutella without the nut so we’ve added roasted hazelnuts and coconut oil (in place of palm oil) to add some good fats, texture and, of course, the delicious nutty taste we all know and love.
To create the amazing rich chocolate flavour we’ve of course thrown in our Clever Kidz which is made with a base of cacao, lucuma and cocoa, adding a touch of sweetness. And to really amp up that chocolate flavour, we've added extra certified organic cacao powder is used, because you can never go wrong with a double dose of chocolate. There’s also a hint of vanilla extract to heighten all the flavours.
Instead of using refined sugar, we have opted for much healthier and less processed options to sweeten our spread - maple syrup and coconut sugar. And as previously mentioned, our Clever Kidz also adds a touch of sweetness thanks to the natural monk fruit powder and other fruit powders present in the formula.
This recipe is super straightforward and you can blend the mixture to suit your personal preference. Enjoy it without guilt by the spoonful, on toast, rice cakes, mixed in yoghurt, the options are endless. For some inspo, check out this fun Banana Sushi recipe featuring the spread!
Clever Kidz Choc Hazelnut Spread
SERVES: 1 jar
MAKE TIME: 20 mins
2 cups roasted hazelnuts
2 cups coconut oil
5 serves (10 tsp) Morlife® Clever Kidz Chocolate Drink
1/3 cup Morlife® Cacao Powder Certified Organic
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Spread the hazelnuts out onto a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes until the skins become dark. Remove from the oven and set aside allowing time for the hazelnuts to cool.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a kitchen towel. Using another towel, rub the hazelnuts so that the shells come off. Continue this process until most of the skins have come off.
- Blend the hazelnuts in a food processor or blender until they clump together.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until combined.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge.