These hemp falafel burgers are the real deal. Featuring stacks of fresh, delicious ingredients, they're surprisingly not hard to make! All you'll be cooking is the Hemp Falafel patty which is the protein source in this meal and also the main flavour maker. Thanks to our Hemp Falafel Mix though, this patty is an absolute dream; you won't need a food processor and you'll be cooking in no time.
We bought our charcoal bun's from a local supermarket but if your local doesn't stock them then just swap them out for regular burger buns. Besides the buns, to create this burger you'll need fresh avo, pineapple, tomatoes, cucumber, coconut yoghurt, spinach, the brand NEW Hemp Falafel Mix to make your amazing patty and a packet of Spinach, Herb & Onion SuperDip Mix.
Although you can bake your hemp falafel patties (which we recommend for a healthier option), for this recipe we chose to shallow fry them in a pan with coconut oil. This gives the patty a more golden and slightly crispier outside compared to baking while still keeping them moist inside! Seriously, there's nothing so unsatisfying than a falafel that's dry and leaves you needed a gulp of water with each bite. Cooking with coconut oil doesn't affect the taste at all either - in fact many recommend cooking with coconut oil due to the its healthy fats profile and higher cooking point.
Once you're done cooking your patties, its time to plate up! Grab your buns and assemble each layer. For our burger sauce we've used a refreshing yoghurt based sauce, mixing Spinach Onion & Herb SuperDip Mix with coconut yoghurt. If your burgers tower high like ours did, pierce them with a skewer to keep them in place. We can't wait for you to try this recipe out!
CHARCOAL BUN HEMP FALAFEL PATTY BURGER
PREP + COOK TIME: 30 min
100 mL water
Olive oil (spray and liquid)
100 g Morlife Hemp Falafel Mix
1 sachet (28 g) Morlife Spinach, Herb & Onion SuperDip Mix
250 mL (1 cup) unsweetened coconut yoghurt
2 charcoal bread buns
½ avocado (thinly sliced)
1 can sliced pineapple
6 cherry tomatoes
Handful snow pea sprouts
STEP BY STEP
Falafels (Patties) (alternatively you can bake them):
- Heat frypan over medium-high heat
- In a bowl, combine falafel mix (100g) with 100 mL of water and stir
- Allow water to absorb for 5 minutes and stir again
- With damp hands, shape falafel mix into small to medium patties (roughly the size of the burger buns)
- Add and melt coconut oil in the pan and place patties in pan
- Cook for a few minutes, checking the underside of the patties. Once golden and browned, flip and cook other side. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix the contents of Spinach, Herb & Onion SuperDip Mix into 250 mL of unsweetened coconut yoghurt and combine
- To assemble, place the base of each charcoal bun on a serving surface
- Layer each bun base with dip, snow pea sprouts, patty, more dip, tomatoes, pineapple, cucumber, spinach and avocado
- To finalise top the burger with the other charcoal bun and pierce with skewer if needed