Well, well, well, look what the Hulled Hemp Seeds have come bearing. Yes, your favourite protein & iron rich, sprinkle-'em-anywhere seeds help create the creamiest, luscious faux pate spread that demands to be a centrepiece on your next celebratory platter.
Growing up, pate seemed to always be that odd item that our parents pulled out when we were having guests over for dinner. While our European friends tell us it was very much a staple in their diets growing up, so much so they would just have it spread on their lunchbox sandwiches, ours were firmly on the strawberry jam or Vegemite side. So when we were dreaming up this year's Christmas recipe collection we wanted to include the kind of recipes that we tend to put in the too-hard or too-fancy basket, or in this case for our vegan friends 'too-meaty' basket and make them simple, delicious, wholesome and down-right crowd pleasers.
The hulled hemp seeds combined with the aromatic mushrooms and almond butter once blended make a perfect velvety texture that easily spreads over crackers or bread. We enjoyed ours with our incredible Keto Bread recipe and extra toasted hemp seeds on top (can you tell we're obsessed?!).
Now, not getting ahead of ourselves but like we mentioned earlier, we wanted to make sure this recipe was easy to make and taste so good it made your friends suspicious that you spent hours slaving away in the kitchen. Fear not, because this is a one pan and a blitz in the blender recipe! Try it our for yourself and let us know what you think of this savoury, aromatic keto vegan pate.
KETO VEGAN MUSHROOM HEMP PATE
MAKES: 1 small jar
MAKE TIME: 20 mins
1/2 cup Morlife Certified Organic Hulled Hemp Seeds
1 1/2 tbsp vegan margarine
1/4 cup coarsely chopped brown onion
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
2 tsp almond butter
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
STEP BY STEP
- Using a fry pan on medium heat, dry toast hemp seeds until lightly golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add vegan margarine to frypan. Once melted, add onion and garlic to fry until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and spices. Sautee over medium heat until the water from the mushrooms completely evaporates. This is important to ensure a rich flavour and can take some time.
- Add Hemp seeds, mushroom mix and almond butter to food processor and blitz until smooth. If you need to add some liquid to make the pate smoother, add a dash of olive oil until you reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a glass jar and place, covered, in the fridge for 2 hours to set.
- Enjoy with Morlife’s Keto bread. Can be kept for 3 days in the fridge.