Ever wanted to go to a festival dedicated to feasting on sinful food, parades, and good vibes? Yes, there is such a thing, and its called Mardi Gras - no not the LGBTQIA festival many know Mardi Gras as today, but the original take on Mardi Gras, which is French for ‘Fat Tuesday’.
This ceremony is celebrated on the Tuesday prior to Ash Wednesday, the day that marks the start of Lent, a long fasting period for Christians where they go without a certain temptation (often a food group) for 40 days. This year, Mardi Gras falls on Tuesday 5th March.
This celebration allows people to indulge in their favourite foods before giving them up. Mardi Gras hit New Orleans in 1837 and has been the home to the joyous festival since, while also becoming an important celebration in Anglican and Catholic European nations.
Donuts, pastries, pancakes and fried breads are among the popular delicacies consumed during Mardi Gras. As much as our inner naughty side wants to book a ticket to join these festivities and stuff our faces with delicious treats we know our waistlines would not appreciate it, so we decided to make our own treats that our bodies (and tastebuds) will actually be thankful for. We put a healthy twist to the traditional donut and created our Vegan & Gluten Free Wild Orange Donuts.
Baked not fried, No refined sugar, gluten free, dairy free and just as good as the real thing, perhaps even better. With a refreshing twist of orange zest and the holy grail of anti-inflammatory; Our Turmeric Latte, you won’t be left feeling heavy and gluggy. As for the icing –we have opted for a much lighter alternative using a coconut cream glaze, you definitely won’t be missing the sugar loaded Original Glaze, trust us.
- 1 cup oat flour (ground oats, gluten-free) – (100 g)
- 115 g soft dates, pitted (or soak the dried dates in hot water to soften)
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk, canned (180 ml)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water, whisked together and set for 15 minutes)
- ½ orange zest
- 1 tsp Morlife Turmeric Latte
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp Coconut cream
- 2 tsp Maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Orange juice
- 2 tbsp orange zest
For the donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 355°F or 180°C.
- Place the coconut milk, pitted dates, flax egg and orange zest in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. There should be no chunk of date left.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, Turmeric Latte, baking soda and baking powder. Stir well.
- Add in the coconut milk, date mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture in a donut pan and smooth it out with the back of your spoon. Or pour the batter into a ziplock bag, cut off the bottom corner and pipe the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes at 350°F or 180°C. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Mix together the coconut cream, maple syrup, and fresh orange juice until combined
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30-60 minutes or until thickened
- Dip the top of the donuts in the glaze and set aside to harden, then dip again to get a thick coating
- Sprinkle orange zest on to garnish