We've been dreaming about the recipe all winter long and when we announced on our Instagram Story that we we're thinking about making it with our brand new Organic Hemp Seeds we knew we had to commit and make it! Porridge in winter is an absolute classic and oh so comforting! It's so easy to whip up but we decided to luxe out our oats with a few beautiful additions.
First up, we're giving a shout out to our Organic Hemp Seeds because not only do their soft texture mix in perfectly with porridge but they supercharge the nutritional content! Hemp seeds are full of iron, vitamin E, omega 3, 6 & 9 fatty acids and plant based protein. Let's just say they're an overachiever and we've been sprinkling them on absolutely everything since they were legalised here in Australia for human consumption (p.s no, they won't get you high).
To give this dish an extra wintery feel we included rhubarb! Rhubarb brings incredible delicate flavour to the porridge but also an insta-worthy vibrancy to contrast our creamy hemp oats. Be warned though, when using rhubarb always remember to remove the leaves and throw away. Rhubarb leaves are actually poisonous so when we are talking about rhubarb, we are always referring to the stems. Most times you buy it the rhubarb is generally already removed but if you buy yours from a farmers market there is a chance the leaves could still be left on.
We then gorgeous rhubarb in the oven with vanilla extract, orange skin, ginger, sugar and a dash of water. Trust us when we say you won't mind one bit hanging out in the kitchen while it bakes away because the smell is incredibly fragrant. Not only will you use the apple and rhubarb pieces but also the amazing pink syrup that will be collected at the bottom of your baking dish.
So happy breakfasting fam! This is a recipe to be made straight out of bed and enjoyed in pj's on the couch.
HEMP OAT PORRIDGE WITH APPLE & RHUBARB
MAKE TIME: 25 mins
2 stalks rhubarb, cleaned and cut into 8cm pieces
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Skin of ½ orange, shaved into strips
2 thumb sized pieces of fresh ginger, quartered
½ cup water
1 large red apple, sliced approximately 3cm thick
¼ cup water
Juice of ½ orange
1 tbsp. sugar
HEMP OAT PORRIDGE
1 cup almond milk
¾ cup porridge oats
1 heaped tsp cinnamon
Pinch of Himalayan salt (helps to balance the sweetness)
STEP BY STEP
- To prepare the rhubarb, heat the oven 180°C. Place the rhubarb, 2 tbsp. sugar, vanilla, orange peel, ginger and water in a bowl and toss to coat. Transfer everything to an ovenproof dish and roast, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until tender but not falling apart. Drain (keep liquid) and set aside.
- In a frypan, add ¼ cup water to the base, then poach the apple slices for approximately 1 minute each side. Add the orange juice and 1 tbsp. sugar and simmer to create a caramelised sauce.
- Add the oats, almond milk, cinnamon and a pinch of salt to a saucepan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes once boiling or until the oats are cooked. At the last moment, add the hemp seeds to warm through.
- In a frypan, reduce the rhubarb liquid to form a delicious sauce.
- Spoon the porridge into bowls and top with apple, roasted rhubarb and the rhubarb sauce.