If you’re finding it tough to cater to all this Christmas, or simply running out of ideas, not to worry, we’ve got you covered! There are so may delicious and filling vegan and vegetarian recipes that you can enjoy this festive season, so nobody feels left out. This particular recipe is a take on one of our favourite comfort foods- Beef Wellington, only we’ve made it vegan!*.
Don’t be alarmed by the name, beef wellingtons may be a bit tricky to make, but this recipe is super easy to make and definitely won’t take as long as you think. It’s made easy thanks to our Quinoa Risotto Range because we are all about having a stress free Christmas! We’ve used our Spiced Pumpkin Curry Quinoa Risotto which features quinoa, the ancient ‘supergrain’. Containing a good source of fibre, source of protein plus functional herbs and spices, chia seeds and more, it will satisfy the tastebuds thanks to its flavoursome burst. We also have 3 other delicious varieties in our Quinoa Risotto range including; Mediterranean Tomato & Herb, Oriental Ginger & Teriyaki or Thai Green Curry. Our range are all gluten free and super easy to prepare, with one for every taste bud, they are the perfect staple to keep in your pantry. As mentioned down below, our Quinoa Risotto Spiced Pumpkin Curry contains traces of milk solids from the coconut powder, if you want this recipe to be 100% vegan, use our Oriental Ginger & Teriyaki Quinoa Risotto.
Before you start your wellington, you’ll need to prepare your Quinoa Risotto by simply following the instructions on the back of the packet. You can either cook it on the stove top or microwave it, once that’s done, set it aside to cool to room temperature. While your risotto is cooking, you can have your pumpkin steaming at the same time.
For our pastry, we used puff pastry sheets from the supermarket, many pastries available are vegan. You’ll want to take out your pastry 30-40 minutes before you use it to allow it to thaw.
Once all your ingredients are cooked and ready to go, it’s time to start the assembling process! This may seem like the ‘scary’ party but not to fair it’s actually quite easy. Once your ingredients are on top, in the middle of the pastry, you can place on the second sheet. The trick is to do this slowly, placing the sheet on inch by inch. Using a sharp knife, you can cut the excess pastry; don’t throw it out as you can use it to make a fun shape to place on top. Of course being Christmas, we decided to make a cute Christmas tree. Carefully place your shape on top then give the wellington a decent brush with your vegan butter (using your pastry brush). This will allow it to become nice and golden.
Bake in the oven, and it should come out looking oh-so crispy and delicious! This dish is perfect to enjoy on its own, or with a fresh salad. If you’ve got leftovers-even better as it makes an excellent lunch time meal the next day.
*Note: although no dairy containing ingredients are added into this recipe, our Quinoa Risotto Spiced Pumpkin Curry contains traces of milk solids from the coconut milk powder.
SPICED PUMPKIN QUINOA & VEGGIE WELLINGTON
PREP & COOK TIME: 1.5 hrs
½ butternut pumpkin, cubed
1 packet Morlife GF Quinoa Risotto Spiced Pumpkin Curry
1 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
handful fresh green beans, sliced
handful parsley, chopped
2 sheets vegan pastry
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 tbsp olive oil
STEP BY STEP
- Steam the pumpkin for 30 minutes, at the same time, cook the Quinoa Risotto according to packet instructions. Once the Quinoa Risotto is cooked, set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large pan, sauté onion in olive oil for 5 minutes, add carrots, green beans and cooked pumpkin. Sauté the vegetables until they are lightly browned then set aside.
- Place 1 sheet of pastry on a board, spoon the quinoa risotto in the middle, leaving 5cm either side and 1-2cm at the ends. Layer on the remaining vegetables then place a second pasty sheet on top. Press down on the sheet then trim the ends.
- Using a fork, press the 2 pastry edges together. You can use the off cuts of the pastry to make a shape and place on top; we made a Christmas tree using a shape cutter. Carefully place it on top of your wellington. Using a pastry brush, dip it in the vegan butter and brush all over the pastry.
- Carefully move the wellington onto a lined baking tray and bake in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes, or until golden.
**Time Saver Tip: this recipe can be made the day or morning before. Simply place in the oven to heat up before serving.