Sleep, glorious sleep. There's just no better feeling than when you gracefully rise in the morning to greet a new day, with a solid 8 hours of slumber done and dusted. If only it actually felt that way everyday, right?
We all know how important sleep is to allow your body to stop and recharge. But sometimes life’s busy commitments and stresses can rob us of the Zzz's we need to recover. Take a look below at our top 10 tips to help with a good night's sleep in order to improve our quality of life.
2. Avoid afternoon naps, especially if you have trouble sleeping already. If you find yourself really needing to recharge, a short 20 minute catnap can help.
3. Avoid screen time just before you go to bed. This includes; TV, computers, smart phones and devices as it will tend to stimulate and hype your brain too much. Instead, read a book.
4. Try to stick to a sleep schedule, this will regulate your body clock and help you fall asleep easier.
5. Avoid heavy meals or late dinners in the evening; this can disrupt sleep, especially heavy meals which may cause discomfort from indigestion.
6. If you can’t sleep, get up and do something else. Go to another room and do something relaxing until you find yourself tired again is advisable.
7. Try mediating before bed time to unwind and clear your head, there are many apps to download on smart devises.
8. Exercise earlier rather than later. Exercising stimulates the body and activates the brain, therefore exercising too close to sleep time may disruptive.
9. Try not to drink too much fluid in the evening to avoid trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
10. Have a notebook and pen handy next to your bed. Often when you’re falling asleep, the day’s worries and thoughts can come to you. Write them down and set them aside for the next day.