Chia seeds originate from South America and have been used as a food for thousands of years by the Mayans and Aztecs. Recently chia seeds have been labelled a complete superfood as they are the richest plant source of Omega 3, dietary fibre and protein. They also have antioxidant properties. Chia seeds are gluten free and grain free making them a great choice for those who suffer from gluten intolerance. Chia seeds have many different applications and are a convenient way to add some variety to your diet!
5 Uses for Chia Seeds
- Chia seeds are perfect to add into any form of baking. Including, cookies, cakes, slices and bread. You name it!
- They are also delicious as a pudding for breakfast, lunch or desert. Just mix with water or any form of milk and allow to soak overnight. Add your choice of fruits or nuts and enjoy
- Can be used instead of cornflour or other thickening agents to thicken soups, sauces and gravies.
- Chia seeds can be used as a topping. Sprinkle over dishes to add a healthy crunch.
- Combine with fruit juice or in a smoothie to provide an effective energy boost and/or pre-workout