Wheat Grass vs Barley Grass, What’s the Difference?
We hear about wheat grass and barley grass frequently in the wellness world but what exactly do these famous greens have to offer nutritionally, and what’s the difference between the two?
Similarities between barley grass and wheat grass
- Both wheat grass and barley grass provide a source of chlorophyll, the green, magnesium-rich pigment found in plants.
- Barley grass and wheat grass contain a wide range of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals antioxidants and amino acids.
- Both wheat grass and barley grass contain the minerals calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium.
- Both wheat grass and barley grass provide vitamins A, C, E, K and folate.
- Barley grass and wheat grass are a source of the antioxidant, superoxide dis-mutase.
Differences between barley grass and wheat grass
- Barley grass contains a slightly higher protein percentage than wheat grass.
- Barley grass is considered to have a more mild taste than wheat grass, which is quite bitter.
- Barley grass is from the young shoots of the barley plant while wheat grass is from the young shoots of the wheat plant.
What’s the answer?
As you can see, both grasses offer substantial nutritional benefits, with many customers alternating between buying these two superfoods, as they’re fans of both. Ideally though, a mixture of grasses will provide you with the broadest nutritional intake. Don’t forget to dose up on green vegetables as well, to further boost your daily consumption of nutrients.
For a super duper combination, you can also add in superfoods Spirulina and Chlorella, like we did with Morlife Alkalising Greens pH 7.3. It’s a unique blend of certified organic wheat grass, barley grass, Spirulina, and broken-cell chlorella, 18 potent fruit and vegetable extracts, with specially selected alkalising minerals, prebiotics, probiotics, energising herbs, Chinese mushroom extracts, fibre, and antioxidants.
There’s no more satisfying way to start the morning than with a fresh green juice smoothie. Here’s one of our favourites:
Super Greens Juice
1 tsp barley grass
1 tsp wheat grass
(or 2 tsp of Morlife Alkalising Greens pH 7.3)
½ cup spinach leaves
2 apples, sliced into quarters
¼ pineapple, chopped roughly
½ lime, peeled
Method - juice all ingredients together and enjoy!