Friends, we have arrived at a real rose amongst the thorns. Soup is tasteless, they said, soup is boring they said. They were wrong. This green soup recipe is silky, creamy, and packed with flavour. The kind of can't-get-enough-of-it flavour that drives you to have bowl after bowl of it. Created by our resident gourmet frenchie, Sophie, she was generous enough to share this absolute crowd-pleaser with the Morlife fam!
This creamy green soup recipe is surprisingly filling, so be warned all soup-haters: You can eat soup and get super satisfied too! Containing leek, broccoli, spinach, jalapeños, coconut milk, and lime for the base, this recipe is full of green goodness along with a good dose of fibre. Although you are welcome to enjoy this soup base alone, we like to pair ours with cooked Morlife Organic Tricolour Quinoa for extra texture, antioxidants and fibre.
Before you start freaking out about the potential spiciness this soup may give, we'll be the first to tell you that the jalapeños are completely optional! Given the amount of soup this recipe can make (four serves), one jalapeno isn't going to turn up the heat factor all too much. If you're particularly sensitive though, you can totally omit it (better safe than sorry, right) and be on your way to Creamy Green Soup delight. If you do like your food spicy though, two jalapeños should definitely do it.
Ready to make this hearty bowl of goodness? Get out your blender/food processor/stick blender along with a couple pots and your ingredients. Tonight we are feasting!
CREAMY GREEN SOUP
MAKE TIME: 40 mins
1 leek, chopped
1 French shallot, diced
1 ½ broccoli heads, chopped (including stalk)
2 cups baby spinach
1-2 jalapeños, diced (seeds or extra optional for more spice)
3 cups vegetable stock
Salt/pepper, to taste
½ cup coconut milk
½ lime juice for serving
3 tsp. chopped chives
¼ cup Morlife Tricolour Quinoa grains
¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
STEP BY STEP
- Cook Morlife Tricolour Quinoa following packet instructions and set aside.
- In a hot pot, cook the shallots with olive oil (approx. 2 minutes). Add the leek and cook it until golden.
- Then add the jalapeños and broccoli. Cook it for an extra 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and spinach, and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend it all together.
- Add the quinoa to the base of a bowl. Spoon the soup mixture over the top. Drizzle with coconut milk and lime juice. Sprinkle with chives, salt, pepper, hazelnuts and additional jalapenos (optional).