Festive coloured, fun and scrumptious, these Savoury Madeleines will add a touch of sophistication to your Christmas lunch or dinner. Not familiar with Madeleines? These baked appetisers are a traditional French recipe known for their light and airy texture and distinctive scallop shape. Madeleines are usually made as a sweet dessert treat but we love playing around with traditional recipes, and savoury flavours works beautifully with this recipe!
We created our savoury madeleines in three different and equally awesome varieties: Kale & Chives, Beetroot & Goat's Cheese, and Turmeric & Sweet Potato all baked to crispy-soft perfection. The recipe makes around 40-50 madeleines depending on your tray size so you'll definitely have enough to serve around the party.
Just look at how gorgeous these look?! The next time we see these this close up is when we'll be feasting on them in real life! Madeleine trays can be found at most good kitchenware stores or you could easily find some online. Despite their fancy looking appearance, these savoury madeleines were so easy to make and as soon as they left the oven we had the rest of the team eyeing them off. Serve them with the Morlife SuperDip's mixed in natural greek yoghurt for a light dipping sauce and they're done. Do yourself a favour and make this recipe ASAP!
MAKES: 40-50 madeleines
MAKE TIME: 25 mins
120g unsalted butter
2 cups plain flour
1 cup cornmeal (or polenta)
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
KALE & CHIVES
3 ½ tbsp finely chopped garlic chives
BEETROOT & GOAT'S CHEESE
1/4 cups goat's cheese
TURMERIC & SWEET POTATO
¼ cup mashed sweet potato
1 tablespoon Morlife Certified Organic Turmeric Powder
** We made all three flavours with our base mix. If you want to only do one flavour then multiply the ingredients by three
STEP BY STEP
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease mini madeleine pans with cooking spray or butter.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in eggs, milk, and browned butter until smooth. Set aside.
- In 3 separate bowls, create 3 flavour combinations; chives + kale, goats cheese + beetroot, sweet potato + turmeric. Tip: make a runny paste with the superfood powder and a little water to eliminate any lumps.
- Pour the madeleine batter evenly into the 3 flavour bowls, and then fold through.
- Add madeleine mixture to the madeleine trays, filling cups 3/4 full.
- Bake until golden brown and firm, approximately 12 minutes. Immediately unmold, and let cool completely on wire racks. Repeat until all 3 mixtures have been used.