Inspired by the season change, we whipped up this gorgeous gluten free salad with hearty roast vegetables to satisfy us even on a cooler day. Typically, salads are cast as a 'summer' meal option but we disagree. Salads can be adapted to suit any season, it's just about selecting and combining different ingredients. When we think about ingredients that make perfect cooler month picks, pumpkin, beetroot, fennel, capsicum, eggplant and zucchini all make amazing options. Roasting, grilling or caramelising them is a key way to make them fall salad friendly!
For this salad we picked a combination of fresh and roasted vegetables along with pecan nuts, Morlife Dried 5 Berry Mix and Morlife Tricolour Quinoa to add texture and an amazing array of flavours. Not to mention this recipe gives you a variety in nutrients, polyphenols, antioxidants, plant based protein and fibre. Yep, this salad is just what you need to warm you up and nourish you this Autumn!
PREP TIME: 45 mins
1/3 of a pumpkin
1 cup Morlife Certified Organic Tricolour Quinoa Grains
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/2 small red onion
6 cups kale (chopped, stems removed)
½ cup crumbled goats cheese
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
STEP BY STEP
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together.
- Place the chopped kale a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat the kale thoroughly. Let the salad rest in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This allows the kale to soften.
- Preheat your oven to 175 Degrees Celsius. Cut pumpkin into cubes. Roast pumpkin for 15 min.
- Whilst the pumpkin is in the oven, cut the capsicum into strips. After the pumpkin has been roasting for 15 mins, add the capsicum and roast for a further 15 minutes.
- Add a cup of quinoa to boiling water and allow to boil for 10-15 minutes. Strain and run under cold water until cool.
- Slice the onion finely and put into a bowl with cold water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Spread the pecans on a separate ungreased baking tray. Bake for 5-10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Watch them closely so that the nuts don’t burn. Remove from the oven.
- Once everything is out of the oven, add quinoa, pumpkin, capsicum and onion to the dressed kale. Then add the pecans, cranberries, and crumbled goats cheese.
- Toss lightly and serve.