Buddha bowls are popping up everywhere and are definitely one of the most trending foods this year. Made up of vegetables, wholesome grains, good fats, plus protein Buddha Bowls are very colourful and of course beautifully presented (it has to be Instagram worthy right!?)
We thought we’d try our own rendition comprising one of our favourite foods! Completely gluten free and vegan, our Nourishing Buddha Bowl is perfect for everyone.
We started off by making the oh-so-creamy and mouth-watering Turmeric Dressing. This truly is the icing on the ‘cake’, the hero of this delicious dressing obviously being turmeric. Our Morlife Certified Organic Turmeric powder is full of antioxidant goodness, due to the natural curcuminoid content, particularly curcumin, this is what also gives turmeric its brilliant yellow hue. Fun fact for you: Turmeric Powder contains 7.5 times more antioxidants than garlic*. Another vital component of this dressing is a dash of nutritional yeast. This ingredient adds a burst of fantastic savoury flavour that is cheesy and nutty. Once you’ve blitzed that up, set the dressing aside (the longer you leave it, the more vibrant yellow it will become!)
We’ve made sure to cover all components of this dish; grains from our Morlife Certified Organic Quinoa Grains, protein from paprika chilli chickpeas and good fats coming from both the Creamy Turmeric Dressing and avocado. In addition to this, our Buddha Bowl includes crispy oven baked Kale chips to cover all textures, giving your tastebuds a sensory overload! A tip in advance: make extra of the kale chips! They are so easy and simply to make, and it was hard for us to stop eating them while we were assembling the final bowl. We’ve also topped the bowl with alfalfa and a dash of coriander for extra green goodness. So there you have it, perfectly simple to whip up and bursting with nutritional goodness- the ultimate weeknight dinner!
*As measured by a Ferric Reducing Antioxidant Potential (FRAP) Assay.
NOURISHING BUDDHA BOWL WITH CREAMY TURMERIC DRESSING
PREP & COOK TIME: 1 hour
CREAMY TURMERIC DRESSING
1/4 cup olive oil
¼ cup tahini
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp maple syrup
4 Kale leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch salt & pepper
1 cup chickpeas
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp chilli powder
½ avocado, sliced
½ cup Alfalfa
STEP BY STEP
- To make the dressing, blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy, place in a jar and set aside.
- Cook Quinoa grains according to packet instructions.
- Heat the oven to 180°C, place the kale leaves on a lined baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until crispy.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan, cook chickpeas with paprika, garlic powder and chilli powder until toasted
- In a medium bowl, place in the cooked quinoa, Kale chips, chickpeas, sliced avocado and alfalfa. Drizzle the Creamy Turmeric Dressing on top and serve.