Cupcakes have long been demonised for their refined sugar content. But don’t be afraid, these lil ghosties are friendly and pose no threat to your wellness as they’re naturally sweetened with raw honey! Alongside mystical marshmallow frosting that’ll transport you to another realm, these spooky sprites ooze terribly tangy ghost guts when ripped limb from limb. So for a tasty treat minus the frightening ingredients, summon these sweet spirits for love at first bite this Halloween.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup raw honey
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180°C degrees and grease/line cupcake tray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter for a minute on medium speed. Add the honey, eggs, milk & vanilla and continue to beat for 3 mins on medium speed.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and slowly add dry ingredients until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake tray.
- Bake for 20 mins or until the top of the cupcakes are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to fully cool before frosting.
De-Stress Chia Jam ‘Ghost Guts’
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp Morlife® Certified Organic Chia Seeds
- 2 serves Morlife® Adaptogenic De-Stress
- Add the frozen berries to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once berries have thawed and are starting to break down, use a fork to break them down further. This should take 5 mins.
- Stir in chia seeds and simmer for 2 more mins. Turn off the heat, add the Adaptogenic De-Stress and mix. Let mixture sit for 5-10 mins to thicken. Place in fridge to cool before filling cupcakes.
- To fill cupcakes, cut hole on top of each cupcake. Place jam mixture in a zip lock bag with the edge cut off. Squeeze jam mixture until cupcakes are filled. Top with marshmallow frosting.
Ghostly Marshmallow Frosting
- 4 large egg whites, at room temp.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Fill a medium to large pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer.
- In a large heat proof bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt.
- Place bowl over the simmering water on the stove, making sure the bottom doesn’t touch the water. Heat, whisking constantly until eggs reach 60°C degrees.
- Remove bowl from heat and use a hand mixer to beat the eggs on high for 5 mins or until light and fluffy with peaks that mostly hold shape.
- Add vanilla and beat for another 30 secs.
- Add frosting to a pipping bag with a circular nozzle. Pipe onto cupcakes. To complete your marshmallow ghosts, use black frosting to create a little ghost faces.