We all know Christmas is all about over indulging on all the bad food that taste oh so good and trying to convince ourselves its all about ‘balance’. Our Keto Spiced Gingerbread Loaf is the ultimate guilt free, low carb Christmas treat that’s sure to get your tastebuds in the Christmas spirit. With no refined sugar or carbohydrates, the only convincing you’ll have to do is convincing everyone else that they don’t need another slice so you can have it all to yourself.
To make this loaf keto friendly we have replaced the standard all purpose flour with almond meal which does not dramatically reduce the carbohydrate content but offers a lot more nutrient and makes for a moister loaf due to the fats in the nut. Almond butter is also used to create the density of the loaf while keeping it moist and delicious.
To spice things up a little and add some Christmas-y flavour we have thrown in cinnamon, crushed cloves, cacao powder and of course ginger, as well as orange zest to add a hint of refreshing citrus. Now for the sweet stuff - instead of using sugar or artificial sweeteners, monk fruit powder is used to add the sweetness, therefore making it a touch more acceptable to reach for that second slice you’ll desperately want.
The days of getting frowned upon for licking the frosting is a thing of the past – say goodbye to sugar loaded frosting and hello to tummy pleasing probiotic coconut yoghurt frosting. There is no preparation needed, simply scoop the coconut yoghurt out of the container and onto the loaf once cooled and finish off with a garnish of orange zest, how easy is that?! No need to feel guilty about licking the spoon. This recipe will definitely quickly become a Christmas staple in any household.
Keto Spiced Gingerbread Loaf
Makes: 1 Large Loaf
Prep and make time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Per serving: Protein 6.75 g Fat 21.68 g Carbohydrates 4.43 g
2 Cups (250g) almond meal
1 Tsp baking soda
2 Tsp ground ginger
2 Tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 Tsp ground cloves
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp Morlife Certified Organic Cacao Powder
1 Cup of almond butter
1/2 Prange zest
3/4 Cup luke warm water
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature1
¼ Cup Morlife Monk Fruit Powder
2 Large eggs at room temperature
1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ Cup coconut yoghurt, unflavoured
Zest of 1 Orange
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper together until combined. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy - about 1 minute. Add the monk fruit and beat on high speed for 1 minute until creamed together fairly well. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
4. On medium-high speed, beat in the egg and vanilla extract until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
5. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with almond butter to peanut butter (for cost effective recipe) and mixing each addition just until incorporated.
6. Pour batter into greased pan. Bake for around 60 minutes or until the gingerbread loaf is baked through. Allow to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack before removing from pan.
7. Once cooled, top with coconut yoghurt and garnish with orange zest.