We’ve got the perfect Turmeric Pumpkin soup recipe for you this winter! This one is a must-make for those nights you feel like rugging up on the couch sipping on something warm and satisfying!
This is not like your everyday pumpkin soup, our delicious recipe is both gluten free and vegan as we use coconut milk instead of regular cream. We’ve also added in our Morlife Certified Organic Turmeric Powder for added antioxidants. Turmeric Powder is one of those magical spices which has been used for 4,000 years well known for its beneficial properties, brilliant yellow colour and aromatic flavour. Our Turmeric powder contains 7.5x more antioxidants than garlic and makes the perfect addition to our soup.
Combine your pumpkin soup ingredients in a pot, and feel free to add your favourite spices. We really like rosemary in this recipe as it complements the ingredients well. Allow your soup to simmer for at least 40 minutes for the pumpkin to cook and soften as well as the flavours to really kick in.
To bring this pumpkin soup to the next level, we wanted to add a bit of texture. To create this we’ve toasted some chickpeas in the oven, coated with our mouth-watering Smokey Barbeque SuperDip mix. We love just how versatile our SuperDip range is, packed with delicious and powerful ingredients it can be enjoyed in many savoury recipes as well as a dip. Our Smokey Barbeque flavour is perfect for those that like a smokey flavour hit, providing antioxidants, it contains beetroot, goji and chia seeds.
When baking the chickpeas, it’s important to keep an eye on them to ensure they don't burn! Somehow any time we toast nuts or legumes the line between golden and crunchy and straight up burnt can be crossed extremely quickly! We recommend no more than 15 minutes in the oven then set aside to cool slightly while you finish whipping up the soup.
When your soup is ready, take it off heat and allow it to sit for 10 minutes before blending. We used a hand mixer to blend, but you can also place it in a food processor if you don’t have a hand mixer. Just do it in batches so you don’t over flow your food processor!
This recipe is perfect to enjoy for lunch the next day, it should keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, or you can also freeze it keep it handy for those nights you don’t feel like cooking!
TURMERIC PUMPKIN SOUP
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, sliced
4 cloves, garlic, minced
2 tsp Morlife Certified Organic Turmeric Powder
½ kent pumpkin, peeled and diced
2 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk
1 can chickpeas
2-4 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp Morlife SuperDip Smokey Barbeque
STEP BY STEP
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and turmeric powder, cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add the diced pumpkin and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, vegetable stock and coconut milk to the pot, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer until pumpkin is soft (approx 40 minutes).
- While the soup is simmering, drain chickpeas then place on paper towels and blot to ensure most of the liquid is gone. Place the chickpeas in a bowl along with olive oil and SuperDip mix. Mix well to ensure they are well combined.
- Place chickpeas on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven at 230°C for 15 minutes or until crispy, then set aside.
- Puree the pumpkin soup using a hand puree mixer, serve with toasted chickpeas sprinkled on top!