We've been waiting patiently to share this recipe with you all and you’re going to want to throw a tea party after glancing at our uniquely delicious Chamomile Lavender Tea Cake! Infused with our new and reformulated Chamomile Mellow Teabags (aka the secret ingredient), this gluten free cake has subtle tones of lavender and chamomile. Beautiful and quaint, this is definitely a cake to impress guests!
To create that beautiful Chamomile flavour, you simply brew 6 teabags in milk, in a small saucepan on medium heat. If you prefer a weaker or stronger flavour you can use less or more teabags . The strength of the flavour will also depend on how long you brew the teabags for. We found 3 minutes to be a just the right amount of time to produce the delicate flavour.
In order to make this cake really pop, pour the mixture evenly between 2 cake pans and bake in the oven. Once the cakes have cooled spread your delicious glaze on top of one of the cakes. Making the glaze is really simple and you'll only need three ingredients: sugar, water and vanilla! It's not our healthiest recipe, but you can easily replace the icing sugar with stevia icing sugar which works equally as well. Mix the ingredients well together so a syrup forms. The mixture shouldn’t be too thick so you can easily spread it for the middle layer (use less water for more thickness). Once you’ve spread your icing on one of the cakes, sandwich the second cake on top, now stand back and watch the mouthwatering drippage appear!
With the leftover icing/glaze, pour it on top and decorate! We kept it simple and used dried lavender, both whole and buds. The addition of the lavender not only adds a beautiful taste but also a sprinkle of lilac colour! Serve right away and enjoy!
CHAMOMILE LAVENDER TEA CAKE
PREP TIME: 15 min
COOK TIME: 1 hour
- ¾ cup your choice of milk
- 6 Morlife Chamomile Mellow teabags
- 12 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups gluten free flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. water
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2-4 tsp. water
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
Dried lavender to garnish
STEP BY STEP
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, grease two 9x5 inch cake pans & set aside.
- Combine the milk & Chamomile Mellow Teabags in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat to a simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from heat & allow to slightly cool.
- In a medium bowl, cream the coconut oil & sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg until the mixture is light & fluffy, add in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder & salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk & chamomile mellow until just blended.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the two cake pans.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, mix together ingredients in a bowl, spread on top of one of cakes then place the other cake on top. Pour remaining glaze on top of the cake and decorate with dried lavender flowers.